Monday, January 3, 2011

Ringing in the new year, one day at a time


Well here we are in 2011. It is of course still in its infancy stage, but so far so good. I myself do not do resolutions, but I am not really opposed to them for other people. I just know myself all to well to know that I will fold when it comes to any kind of will power. I was born with out it. I have ALWAYS and probably always will be more into instant gratification. This has been both a gift and a curse. If you know anything about astrology, you could totally blame it on the fact that I am a Sagittarius, or you could just blame it on my parents, neither who are strangers to doing/eating/getting/buying what they want, when they want it.

I usually kick myself around the time my pants don't fit, or upon realizing that new pair of shoes seem pretty ridiculous now that I can't pay my rent. Yes, I am 33. You think I would have learned these lessons by now. But alas, no.

Although my mother has many amazing skills and talents, budgeting when I was growing up really wasn't one of them. I'll never forget her saying to me..." I never spend outside of my means, I just happen to know I make a lots of means." So this is my new plan. Rather than budgeting, I will just make more money!! Sounds logical to me!

All kidding aside, (I am not actually kidding, but if I didn't say that, my mom would be upset), the future is creeping up along side me faster than I had planned. I have friends who are buying houses, and I have like three bucks in my savings account. The boyfriend asked me the other day if I have a 401k or a retirement account. Ha. I literally lol'd. I don't know exactly how I thought this growing up thing was gonna go down, but I obviously didn't think preparation was part of it. I'm supposed to have a plan? No one told me that! Oh except my mom, about a zillion times. You would think I was a former addict with my one day at a time mentality, but no, just a take it as it comes kinda girl. I have a confession to make though. Its really not working out in my favor. You could tell the boyfriend was a little put off by my cavalier attitude about my (and I suppose his) future. It was the exact same face my mother has been giving me for years. I am only going to be able to say, "yeah, yeah and yeah" for so many more years before its way too late and I am 65 living off social security(if there is even any left by then) and using a shopping cart for my vehicle. Its a frightening dream sequence at best.

I say all this with a sense of humor, but I am sure you can detect my humility in all of it as well. It is not something I am super proud of, or excited about. If I could do things differently, I would like to think I would make some better choices. But I can not turn back time. (However, an important kid in my life said she was going to go to college, get real smart and work on making a teleport time machine.....fingers crossed)!

So I already told you I don't do resolutions, but I suppose I could just make better choices. Im pretty sure it wouldn't kill me. (although if it does, I'm blaming boyfriend and my mom). How hard could it be? So instead of, " I will lose weight", it will become, "I wont eat that 2nd piece of cake". "I will save money" becomes, " I don't really need that black shirt that looks exactly like the other 15 black shirts I have in the closet". Ok, I am getting the hang of this. Its just choices. Not scary at all! Look at me all fearless.....

Now who wants to call my credit card companies?

Happy New Years Everyone.
xo,
Ladyfirefury


No comments:

Post a Comment