Monday, December 20, 2010

Black Swan



Talented actors? Check. Dark, twisted plot line? Check. Fabulous dancing, make-up, costuming? Check. Great movie? Eh.

Knowing that this movie combined many of my favorite aspects of a great film I was super excited to see it. Darren Aronofsky who is known for his gritty, raw and often disturbing movies, had me in the first seconds of the trailer for Black Swan. I'm pretty sure the last movie I saw of his was Requiem For a Dream. I literally didn't speak for hours after seeing it. I felt sick, disturbed and excuse my language, but the only way I can relay the feeling is to say mind-f*ked. It is a movie I am so glad I have seen but will never watch again. Its that kind of rough exposed feeling I was expecting after walking out of Black Swan. It never happened.

For those of you not familiar with this story, it is the story of a ballet dancer, Nina(Natalie Portman) who has been chosen for the lead role of Queen Swan in her company directors version of Swan Lake. She not only has to play the role of the disciplined, structured and naive White Swan but also the more unscrupulous Black Swan. She is forced and coerced into finding that dark place inside herself. A new dancer to the company, Lily (Mila Kunis), seems to have all the qualities of the Black Swan she is lacking. Right about here is where the movie loses me.

With out giving anything away there is a struggle of sorts between to two dancers, but it is unclear if the struggle is just in Nina's (Natalie Portman) head. Don't get me wrong, she clearly has issues, but are they just or is she just sick?

I took it as a woman so focused on finding her dark side that in the process she killed off the innocence and ethical side of her personality. While I never got that sick to my stomach feeling, I do think this movie is sexy, thrilling and entertaining. Just not what I expected.

Go see it and tell me what you think it is about. Im interested to hear what other people think.

Thats all for this rainy monday morning.

xo,
ladyfirefury

No comments:

Post a Comment