Thursday, December 16, 2010

Cause and Effect

I would like to ask you to please carve out a little bit of time for yourselves before reading this particular post. There are some videos involved and with out watching them, none of this will make sense. Thank you, Ladyfirefury.

Cause

And

Effect


A few days ago I wrote about selflessness vs selfishness, and if you're still with me (take a moment to gather yourself if needed), I would love to write a bit more about it and how this story is a perfect example of how doing something seemingly insignificant to some people can make a world of difference to someone else.

To say that I like dogs is a severe understatement. Its borderline obsessive. I am "that" girl who will stop every person on the street for a chance at giving their dog a pat. Even the smallest interaction with canines can effect my mood for the entire rest of the day. I pretty much watch animal planet more than any other channel and read dog articles and behavior manuals in my spare time just for the information it provides me. I have even been called "the crazy dog girl". ( no offense taken if it was implied). About three years ago I got involved in animal welfare. I have volunteered my time, resources and spoken out about my cause. Due to my ever growing hectic schedule I haven't been able to do near the amount that I would like, so I thought the least I could do was to continue talking about it.

Most of you know I that I am an American Pit Bull Terrier advocate. It is not important how or why I got involved in this particular breed and I am not here to tell the world that they should too. I wrote a post a few months back about my experience with the breed etc. if you would like my thoughts on the matter, but this is not about standing on my soapbox tonight, this is about selflessness and a cause (whatever it may be) worth fighting for. I hope these videos tell the story of why I do what I do and how easy it is for you to do something of your own.

During this time of the year the unfortunate, the desperate, the needy tend to pull on peoples heart strings and this gives them a chance to get into action doing what they can to help. Its sad however that some people still don't understand how this whole giving thing works. I have heard "why just one specific group you donate your time to, why just one breed of dog you devote yourself to"? Somehow my need to support my cause translates into not doing enough for other causes. How does this make sense? Apparently because i have honed in on one cause (animal welfare) it means I don't care about veterans, or the homeless or breast cancer. I am not sure how anyone thinks they have the right to decide which cause is more deserving than the other??. It reminds me of a conversation I had via facebook where someone was upset because I work at Starbucks and therefore contribute to all the evil in the world. (Seriously? Has he never had a Pumpkin Spice Latte?) In his opinion, the only way to make a difference in the world is to be anti-everything. Anti-corporation, anti-government, anti-military, basically just go through life mad at everyone and every thing. I agree that if you sit down and focus on EVERYTHING that is wrong with this world than you will truly be angry, but to me it is smarter to chose the things that mean the most to you and focus on them. There are enough causes in the world to go around, and there are enough people willing to fight for theirs. Being angry at the world all the time doesn't accomplish anything. Ever. You burn out trying to fight every fight and eventually just become jaded. Then even the smallest effort feels pointless. I have already proven how simple it is to do "just one thing" and the amazing effects of it, so it would be a shame to miss out on that opportunity because you have already given up. You also have plenty of time because it doesn't just have to be during the holidays. People (dogs, kids, cancer) needs don't just go away because its January.

Speaking of January, I am going to be gathering some people in rescue to donate our time at the Villalobos Rescue Center. It is the biggest pit bull rescue in the nation. You may of heard of it via Animal Planet and a show called Pit Bulls and Parolees. And if you havent, check it out! We will be doing everything and anything they need. They have 200 dogs there and I am sure they can use all the help we have to offer. I also would like to be able to bring them something other than time or monetary donations. I will be collecting blankets (if you have a pittie you know how fast your ONE dog goes through them) and towels to keep them warm during the winter months. So if you have any laying around you arent sure what to do with, please contact me here or on facebook to arrange a pick up.

Please remember, it just takes one person doing just one thing. This one thing may be life changing.
Pick your cause, do something, and sit back to watch the effects. I promise its worth it every time.

xo,
ladyfirefury

No comments:

Post a Comment