Saturday, April 3, 2010

Unconditional Love

Most of you know me pretty well by now. You know what my interests are at least. But there is one thing that I have wrestled with talking about here because it tends to be a controversial topic. Well at least for some. Ultimately I decided that I am who I am and with out this huge part of my life something would be missing, and so I decided to share it with you.

I am an animal advocate. Specifically dogs. More specifically Pit Bulls. And here is where I feel like I need to defend that. But I am not going to. I am not going to throw a bunch of facts at you. I am not going to tell you how the media plays into this, and I am not even going to tell you about all the injustices these dogs are facing. I am going to tell you that they were just banned on the military bases and now craigslist and then shelters are scrambling with people being forced to give up their family pets. And also I am going to share a story with you. This is a story written (very well I might add) by a fellow animal advocate. Her name is Kim Leary Smith and she is a huge source of inspiration for me. I know that there are a lot of parts to this story, but no matter what your opinion is on these dogs, I URGE you to read this. If not for them, then for me.

Journey to Rescue- Installment 1

Journey to Rescue-The Stay in San Diego

Journey to Rescue-The Trip to Indiana

Journey to Rescue - Looking to the Future

Journey to Rescue- Home!


Ok assuming you made it through all of those, I just want you to think about it. This is just ONE dogs story. I refuse to be all self righteous on my blog, so like I said, I'm not going to bombard you with it. But I would like to ask you how you would feel if Nico's new parents lived on a military base and were forced with the decision to move or give him up. And if they were forced to give him up, back to a shelter, do you think he would get a "second, second chance"? And now I would just like to leave you with MY experience with this breed.
























Thank you for taking the time to look at these. I am not a drug dealer. I am not an ex-con. I am not in need of protection. I do not live in a seedy neighborhood. I am just a girl who fell in love with a dog, or two.

xo,
case

2 comments:

  1. I grow tired of having to constantly defend myself and Luci just because of her breed. You can't imagine how many times I have cried behind closed doors because of the things people say to me about her. Even after sharing my life with her for 4.5 yrs, I still cry. I wish people would step back and really take a good look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is all I am trying to do. I cant defend anymore. Either they get it or they don't. But like i said, i can share MY experience with the breed (luci included) and hope people see what a level headed, professional, compassionate woman I am, and think, "hey, if casey thinks they are awesome, maybe i will open my mind a bit." But it does feel like an uphill battle that will never be won. But we wouldnt be who we are if we didnt try ;)

    ReplyDelete